Ski trips are for sharing smiles, strengthening friendships, devouring feasts and delicious drinks, and much more; in other words, ski trips are the foundation for exceptional memories. They also have the potential to bring out frustration and tears which is why we’ve developed a natural guide outlining 5 steps for a successful ski trip while staying at your SkyRun vacation rental.
Step 1 – Do Your Homework!
I know I know, no one wants to do homework, but as with anything in life, experience and beforehand knowledge lay the path to a fruitful outcome. And this is especially true when it comes to ski trips so make sure to do your homework and know the following before your ski trip:
- Getting to the mountain – As a general rule of thumb, I find taking the free bus or shuttle to be the most effective way to get to the resort. When it comes to getting the entire family to the mountain, get an earlier start to the day to get a good parking spot or bring $25 in cash to pay for premium parking.
- Skiing on the mountain – ‘Know before you go!’ A good term to be familiar with. Sometimes the greatest ski days come from skiing the right terrain and avoiding unwanted terrain. Call your friendly local and ask them to play ‘guide’ for the day or check out an online map of the area to get a sense of where to go.
- Check the weather – I usually check the weather 2 weeks out, then 1 week out, then day by day leading up the trip. What am I looking for? Bluebird sunny days or powder in the forecast. Regardless of what you’re ideal skiing conditions are, make sure you know the weather and temperatures for your trip so you can come prepared and enjoy the conditions.
Step 2 - Prepare Important Documents
Isn’t it the best to show up to the mountain, click into your skis, and jump on the lift without a hassle? For that to happen, grab a reliable zip lock bag and place in the following items inside before you hit the slopes:
- Ski pass or know where the ticket office is
- Cell phone
- Form of identification
- Credit card
Step 3 - The Essentials
You either own gear or are renting from a ski shop. Depending on your approach, here’s a great packing list of items. The general categories to consider are:
- Clothing – Your lucky ski socks, comfy base layers, warm mid layers, gloves, ski pants and jacket, and goggles.
- Gear – Helmet, boots, skis, and poles.
- Protection – Hand warmers, moleskin, sunscreen, Advil, and chapstick.
- Rentals – Know where the rental shops located in relation to your SkyRun vacation rental. It’s always a good idea to get your gear the night you arrive or as early as possible. Give yourself 1-2 hours as rental shops can become very busy in the mornings and afternoons. By getting your gear the night before, you can avoid morning lines and assure your boots and helmet fit as they should.
- Lessons – Know where to meet your instructor and arrive 5 minutes beforehand. It’s also a good idea to bring a few comfort items as you may be skiing for the first time and need a few pick-me-ups throughout the day! Can someone say chocolate?
Step 4 – Fuel
- Lunches – Resort food is expensive! To avoid their high prices, bring a few bars, an apple, delicious sandwich, and lots of water in a backpack.
- Home cooked meals - Your SkyRun vacation rental is the perfect place to make a hearty breakfast and prepare your signature dinners that you’ve been perfecting for times like these.
- Restaurants – Plan out a few restaurants that your party will love. Providing suggestions is always a quick way to tackle the decision of where to eat.
Step 5 – Après Ski
You know the photos you see of clashing drinks off a chalet’s balcony with incredible looking appetizers filling the tables and a magnificent sun setting in the background? Well, that’s just one form of Après ski. Après ski is a term coined by the French, meaning after ski, and is possibly one of the greatest activates to pursue besides the skiing itself. So, as your day begins to wind down and you feel as though you’ve earned some fun, head on back to your SkyRun vacation home with your family and friends for some hot tubbing and après ski delight!
Remember, ski trips are about having FUN, so make the most of your experience and come to your ski vacation home prepared! If you wake up feeling sore, have an extra cup of coffee while doing your morning stretches and wait till you are ready to go skiing. Since you’ve done your homework, you know how to get a hold of your party and where to get your ticket. If you fall down, get cold, or feel tired throughout the day, just tell yourself not to take things so seriously as you enjoy a sweet bite of chocolate and head to the warming hut to start your après ski evening!
Below is a list of SkyRun locations with exceptional vacation homes perfect for a ski trip!
- SkyRun Aspen, CO
- SkyRun Beaver Creek, CO
- SkyRun Breckenridge, CO
- SkyRun Copper, CO
- SkyRun Keystone, CO
- SkyRun Nederland, CO
- SkyRun Park City / Deer Valley, UT
- SkyRun Summit, CO
- SkyRun Steamboat Springs, CO
- SkyRun North Lake Tahoe, CA/NV
- SkyRun Okanagan Valley, BC
- SkyRun Telluride, CO
- SkyRun Vail, CO
- SkyRun Vermont
- SkyRun Winter Park, CO
- SkyRun Whitefish, MT